The Worm and the Bird by Coralie Bickford-Smith is a unique and beautiful experience with a bold message.
The author, Coralie Bickford-Smith is a designer at Penguin Books. Her first book, The Fox and the Star, was named Waterstones Book of the Year and as one of Time Out’s 100 Children’s Books of All Time. Her design work has been featured in numerous publications, including the New York Times and the Guardian. Her cover design has been recognized by the American Institute of Graphic Arts in the United States and Design and Art Direction in the UK.
From cover to cover, this book has a simple, perfectly paced and heartfelt story with a message for us all.
Worm lives underground. It’s busy down there, and the poor fella never has time to stop and take in the world around him. It’s all go and, to be frank, his life is passing him by. There’s no living ‘in the moment’ for our soil-dwelling friend.
Above ground, Bird occupies a very different world, in both design and pace. Life is slower, more spacious, and more appreciative of it’s surroundings.
The kids had a lot of questions at the end of the book. It had clearly captured their attention and imagination.
The message is that there are many beautiful moments in life, and you should take the time to seek them out and appreciate them. Don’t let life pass you by! And that’s not a bad message to learn at all.
The pictures and presentation throughout is incredible. I’m therefore delighted to have a series of postcards based on the artwork from the book to give away. Simply enter using the widget below by 30 September 2017 and one lucky winner will get the postcards sent out. Good luck!
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. CLOSING DATE IS 30 SEPTEMBER 2017 AT MIDNIGHT.
2. THE PRIZE IS A SET OF THE WORM AND THE BIRD POSTCARDS.
3.ENTRANTS MUST BE 18 OR OVER AND RESIDE ON THE UK MAINLAND.
4. NO CASH ALTERNATIVE.
5. THE WINNER WILL BE PICKED FROM ALL VALID ENTRIES AT RANDOM.
6. DON’T USE MULTIPLE EMAIL ADDRESS TO ENTER THE COMPETITION. ENTRIES SUSPECTED OF CHEATING WILL BE INVALIDATED.
7. THE WINNER WILL BE CONTACTED WITHIN 7 DAYS OF THE DRAW DATE. THEY WILL BE NOTIFIED AND WILL HAVE 7 DAYS TO RESPOND. IN THE EVENT THAT NO RESPONSE IS RECEIVED, A FURTHER WINNER WILL BE DRAWN AND SO ON.