A Covid Christmas

Like many other people, my Christmas did not go well.

On 22nd December, I started getting a sore throat. Then I coughed. I looked at my wife and we exchanged this look which meant “nooooooooo”! The next morning, the lateral flow test came up positive. I started to feel quite unwell.

That afternoon was meant to be the start of my Christmas holidays. I spent it getting a PCR test at a drive-through site next to Glasgow Airport.

Where Did I Catch It?

I received a call from the NHS after I registered the positive test. They went through the time scales of when I was likely infected. As I had been working from home and not going out, it was quite easy to pinpoint when I got it. I had to go to the local Boots to pick up a prescription. They messed up, so I had to wait in the shop for about quarter of an hour. That’s it. The only place I went.

The kids had been going to school, but as I was the first one to get it, it couldn’t have been them (as we later found out).

I was self-isolating in the bedroom. My wife had to sleep in with one of my daughter’s. Our eldest had just returned from Dundee for  the Christmas holidays. I didn’t get to spend any time with my kids on Christmas Eve, which was utterly heartbreaking.

Our Christmas plans were cancelled. We always go to my in-laws for Christmas day, which couldn’t now happen. It looked like I wouldn’t be able to be in the living room when my kids opened their presents. I was feeling quite bad, like a flu was coming over me. As Christmases go, it sucked.

Christmas Day

On 3.30am on Christmas day, I got the text to say that the PCR test had been positive. Then my wife got a positive lateral flow test. She was also beginning to feel unwell. The silver lining was that she was able to move back into the room with me. We realised that there was no way for the whole family to avoid getting it, which actually made us relax a bit.

My father-in-law had dropped off the Christmas dinner the night before. Santa had managed to do his stuff so we very carefully managed to have a Christmas Day. The windows were open. I sat on a chair in the hall while the kids opened their presents. It wasn’t anything like we’d planned or wanted, but the kids were having fun, so it was a win.

The Aftermath

Not long after, Eve and Rachel developed a cough, but literally only for a few hours. They both tested positive on lateral flow tests. It ran it’s course and they didn’t get any more sick.

We were probably most worried about Jenny catching covid because she was born with a heart defect. Unfortunately, she did test positive too. She managed to go through the whole thing without having any symptoms whatsoever. That was definitely the best thing that happened.

I didn’t fair so well. It knocked me for six. My wife got it quite bad too. My self-isolation period ended on 31st December (I’m in Scotland so it was longer than in England). That didn’t bother me because there was nowhere I could go anyway.

We’re technically all covid-free now, but the aftermath is still having an effect on us. I’m finding it impossible to exercise or do anything physical without getting wiped out. As I type this, I’m waiting to hear back from the doctor about how to handle this. My plans were to restart running on Boxing Day. It’s now mid-January and I feel far from being able to do anything like that.

I hope your Christmas went a little better than ours, although I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that it maybe didn’t. It’s been a rotten covid Christmas. Let’s hope this year’s is a lot better.

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.