Why Bloggers Shouldn’t Join Charts

A passionate blogger is a good blogger. If you don’t care about your blog, why would anyone else?

Many bloggers care a great deal about their blog. They invest a lot of themselves into it, writing about personal things and being completely honest and open. I’ve shared many things which are very important to me about my health, my children, my marriage and my opinions.

It’s therefore only natural to be protective about the work you do. I’m quite proud of my writing and the feedback the site has generated. I also feel that I could continually rewrite a blog post, tweaking this and that forever, but at some point it just has to be good enough for me to publish. Then I have to press the button and let it fly.

I’m open to feedback and have learned loads from readers and other bloggers. I also read other bloggers work for inspiration and to spot things I don’t like too! I was reading an article on another bloggers site when I spotted a banner in the sidebar. It said Parent Blogger Club.

Parent Blogger Club

I followed the link and discovered a club where you can opt-in to be part of their weekly chart. I registered and linked up my site.

Initially, the Parent Blogger Club, part of the Rise network, used Klout scores to figure out it’s weekly chart. More recently, they switched to put a bigger emphasis on the amount of blog posts you published. Every Monday, the previous week’s chart was calculated and put online.

They also sent out a weekly email, citing the previous week’s top bloggers, biggest rises, biggest fallers, newest bloggers etc. I have to admit that, in a show of vanity, I made some effort to climb the chart.

By the end of 2016, I was one of two dad bloggers who were regularly in the top 50 or so. The highest point I got to was number 31. I was quite chuffed by this.

Parent Blogger Club

Last week

Last Monday I was keen to see the chart. I had published six posts which were well received, so I was anxious to see if I could crack the top 30. The top 100 list came up for week commencing 9th January 2016. I wasn’t in it, which surprised me.

I then received the weekly email from the Parent Blogger Club. It acknowledged at the top that there had been some technical problems in collecting the amount of blog posts people had made. Fair enough, I thought. It can happen. But, despite knowing their numbers were wrong, they then still sent out their chart.

And there, in the Top Losers of the Week section, was Looking for the Postman. Their email said that I’d posted zero blog posts that week.  My blood boiled.

Like I said, I understand that technical glitches happen. What I don’t understand is why you would still then issue out an email about bloggers which was completely wrong? Why tell anyone who has subscribed that a certain group of bloggers had dropped in your estimation because your system had messed up?

Yeah, I took this to heart. I was pretty embarrassed that everyone on that list had been emailed details of my blog and were told that I had plummeted down the chart when the reality was that no such thing had happened.

To be honest, I went in a right, big huff.

Today – Revelation

In the last seven days, I did eight blog posts. Despite this, the Parents Blogger Club recorded zero. For a club which bases itself on stats, that is a huge credibility problem.

Then I had the wake-up call. What the hell was I thinking? Why was I worried about a number on a chart? It was no measure of quality. It was no measure of how much people liked (or didn’t like) my writing. Hell, it wasn’t even an accurate representation of what you’d posted (which is what it claimed to be).

It was worthless.

Don’t get me wrong. I am honestly delighted to have been listed as one  of the Top 10 Dad Bloggers with Tots 100, and I’m with some tremendous other dad bloggers. That chart, however, appears to be based on merit.

I’d got caught up in a blogger’s vanity project, for which I feel like a bit of an idiot. I know that other bloggers have quit charts for the same reason. The upside is that the misdirected energy I spent on concerning myself with this chart can now be directed in a more positive fashion. Go me.

Looking for the Postman has now deleted it’s account with the Parent Blogger Club.

1. 24 January 2017

The Parent Blogger Charts always annoys me too, it never registers my posts and I’ve never made it within the top 1000! In the Tots charts, I’m in the top 200, so how does that even work out? It’s hard not to become drawn in by the charts, especially when you have been doing well, but I try to take it all with a pinch of salt now. If people read my blog and enjoy it, that’s good enough for me!

2. 24 January 2017

Argh! Charts! They fill out lives with so much pain. Why do we do this to ourselves? Myself included. Must. Extract. Myself. Now.

3. 24 January 2017

Yes go you! I didn’t actually know that this chart existed (woops!) but I am in the TOTS100, but have yet to make it into the top 500. You are right, it is much too easy to get caught up in it all and forget that quality and staying true to your voice is what matters.

4. 24 January 2017

I totally agree, we can get so caught up in numbers that we forget why we do this in the first place. Well done on getting out of it!

5. 24 January 2017

I haven’t heard of this ranking but I’d be just as cross as you about this. I do write my blog for myself but still I’m human and do like to know how I’m doing against other….. not great is the answer 🙂

6. 24 January 2017

I didn’t know about this chart but I’m super cynical about most of them

7. 24 January 2017

Well I think you are great stuff them. Its so annoying that they didn’t put the correct stats and checked their facts before posting! GRR

8. 25 January 2017

I didn’t know anything about charts, but it’s something that doesn’t worry me at all haha great to see people agree on this x

9. 25 January 2017

I have been in charts and it really gets you down when you work hard and things like this happen. I am only in the one now HIBs100 as I was taken out the tots when they changed things around. I am ok with this one but I don’t think I will ever join any more though…

10. Sav Chin
    25 January 2017

Never heard about the Parent Blogger Charts before but now I know to avoid them ha

11. 25 January 2017

The Parent Blogger Charts are a load of rubbish – one week the same parent blogger is the biggest faller and the next the biggest climber as they suddenly record their stats

12. 26 January 2017

It’s very easy to get caught up in the charts but I agree they are a load of rubbish. It’s disgusting that that particular one has a loser part too

13. I am proud to say I am not any chart, except those I am added on. I don’t believe in the awards, charts etc. Can’t be bothered with any of them.

14. 26 January 2017

We don’t mind being in the Tots100 and think that’s a good chart and a good community to be a part of. However the other ones we are a bit dubious about especially if they highlighted biggest ‘fallers’ 🙁

• 19 April 2017

It is disappointing to see the lack of Latino representation on the list. Besides active community involvement and pure growth in the Latino populations, I feel we must continue to proactive in our pursuits to further Latino higher education as well as create awareness among the various Non-Latino organizations and media of the many wonderful contributions that we are making to our community. This gets done one day at a time and with a commitment to be role models within our coi#unmty&m8217;s. ctlatino.news.com is one terrific way to keep the wonderful achievements and issues we are facing relevant and known.

15. 27 December 2017

I used to be so guilty of obsessing with stats once i stopped my blogging love returned. I could never figures out Parent Blogger chart when i thought i had a good week I often fell hundreds of places. I also hate the way they publish the top fallers