The weather is getting noticeably colder. Christmas adverts are starting to appear on the TV. Strictly is about half-way through it’s series. So, what better time to show you a recipe for a Summer Fruit Liqueur!
Summer fruit is just another term for berries and currants, many of which actually don’t come out until the autumn, but we’re getting picky here. Thanks to the miracle of frozen food it doesn’t really matter. Go to the shop, buy it, and stop worrying about the logistics. So here is our a boozy #DadRecipe.
Fruit Liqueur Recipe : Ingredients
Vodka : 35cl
Summer Fruits (Frozen) : 500g bag
Caster Sugar : 400g
1. Stick your frozen fruits into a pan and put on a low heat.
2. While the fruit is beginning to break down and release those wonderful juices, find yourself a sealable jar and tip the vodka into it.
3. Admire the fruity gloop that you’ve made. It smells amazing. Then simply tip it into your vodka, seal it and forget about it for 1 to 2 months.
Two Months Later
4. It looks like a lab experiment but it smells lovely. If you filter it now, you’ve got a fruity vodka, but that’s not what we’re making just now.
5. Sieve the gloop.
6. I ended up with 325ml of magnificent summer fruit alcohol.
7. Measure yourself out 400g of caster sugar and 325ml of water.
8. Boil the water then stir in the sugar until it’s all dissolved. Then add your sugar solution to the fruit vodka mix.
9. Bottle it! You’ve made a fruit liqueur which will make an awesome present.
You can adapt this recipe. You can use white rum instead of vodka or other types of fruit. It is entirely up to you! Suit your tastes and you’ll end up with a personal tipple, and the alcohol will help preserve the fruit so it will last a looong time. Cheers!