Jenny’s First Month in School

Young Jenny, 5, started school back in August. (We’re in Scotland, so the summer holidays start and end earlier than other places).

She’s been put in a composite class, meaning that it’s made up partly of new students, and those in second year. We were told this was partly due to how she did in nursery, and the fact that she’s so outgoing and confident.

SchoolSo far, she’s loving it. From getting her uniform on in the morning to doing her homework, she is loving it all. She is even writing sums in her own notebook and wants to read everything, all the time.

Academically (and it seems silly to use that word for a child who’s been in school for less than two months), she’s doing well. She has already passed her Primary 1 test!

Scrapes

So it seems like all is good so far. She’s had a couple of minor niggles. A couple of scrapes, and another over-enthusiastic pupil who grabbed her and knocked her down, but this is going to happen when you get a whole bunch of kids in one place.

Jenny also talked about a time when she was getting changed for P.E. and everyone laughed at her. We never got to the bottom of that story, but we were concerned that her heart op scar might have been noticed by other pupils. It didn’t seem to bother Jenny so we haven’t dug too deep, but it did worry me.

She’s still confident, maybe too much! Emma was telling me that Jenny has started hugging her school mates in the morning, but they didn’t seem too keen! She’ll just need to learn about personal space. Not an unusual thing for a five year old not to know about yet.

We have our first parent’s night in a week or two. All the parents have also been asked about joining the PTA as well. All the proper parent stuff! Soon, it’ll be Halloween parties and Christmas plays. Jenny has recently started dance classes and Rainbows (early Brownies) too. She’s got a very busy social life! I’m now just the driver.

As a Dad, I get mixed emotions seeing my little girl grow up. I’m incredibly proud and happy that she’s taken to the new challenges so well. She’s her own person. Funny, bright and full of life. It’s quite an emotional time!

1. 23 September 2016

Primary 1 test? They do that so early? I don’t think they do that here. At least, they don’t in T’s primary school down here in Cornwall. Good luck with parents evening, though I’m sure you’ll only hear good stories from Jenny’s teacher, she looks like a darling 🙂

2. 23 September 2016

It sounds like she is adapting well to her new routine, I hope she keeps on enjoying it xx

3. 23 September 2016

She sounds like she is settling in well. I remember when my son started primary school and now he’s in university. I still worry about him!

4. 23 September 2016

Sounds like she is having great time. Kids grow up so fast..

5. 24 September 2016

That’s very sweet and good to be proud of your kids. That age definitely makes them their own little person which makes it seem so very very strange. I don’t have any myself but can see it in my niece already and she’s only turned 2! I’ll also be super proud once she finally goes to school.

6. 24 September 2016

Kids grow so fast don’t they? Good she is settling in.

7. 24 September 2016

Aw bless her, you must feel so proud with those compliments!

8. 24 September 2016

Sounds like she has taken to school like a duck to water – I am mums taxi here with Rainbows, Beavers, Cubs and swimming classes – never ending

9. 25 September 2016

It sounds like your little one is having a great time at school and is finding it enjoyable.

10. 25 September 2016

Great that she’s passed her first primary test. My daughter loves her uniform too although not sure how long that will last for lol. Glad your little girl enjoys it x

11. 26 September 2016

Aww, it sounds like she is enjoying school, I remember leaving my daughter at school at this age..

12. 27 September 2016

Oh I hope the kids weren’t being when she was changing! Kids do toughen up as soon as they get to school though so I’m sure she’s doing well 🙂

13. 1 October 2016

I hope the other kids didn’t laugh because of the scar as someone who grew up with a noticeable scar it can play on your mind sometimes but I am sure she will be fine either way.