Shame! That’s How I’ll Lose My #DadBelly

I’ve become a serial failure when it comes to losing my #DadBelly. I’ve tried before but with little success.

Motivation is needed. Motivation and discipline. Something to spur my simple mind on.

My diet could improve. I have tremendously healthy dinners which is completely down to my wonderful wife’s influence. It’s just that during the day at work I eat a load of crap.

Then there’s beer. I love beer. I have cut back, restricting myself to beer on the weekends. I didn’t initially intend to give it up on the basis that balance is the key. I’ve changed my mind now. I think that for the best possible start to this health kick, I need to go all in*.

I want to lose weight, but not strictly for reasons of vanity (although I do want to feel better about myself). Losing weight is something that will help relieve symptoms of GORD. Also, my family has a history of heart problems which I’d like to avoid. My Grandfather had a heart attack at 51, although he did eat fried food all the time. Nevertheless, I want to be healthy and fit!

Shame

I’ve decided to humiliate myself into losing weight. The hope is that the shame will be an extra push to get me eating better and exercising. When I sit up on my bed, I’m unfortunately positioned in front of the wardrobe mirror. My belly sits on my lap like a bowling ball. It’s horrifying to me.

So shame it is. I am posting a picture of my Dad Belly. My gut. I will embarrass myself into losing weight. That will be my motivation, along with some more useful tools. This is my arsenal for losing weight:

My Virtual Mission (which I’ve written about before).
This allows you to set virtual journeys to take by either recording distance walked or cycled. Unfortunately, it now seems to restrict you to one free journey before it charges. That’s not so good so I will try to find another option.

Beets Blu WiFi Scales and Heart Monitor (and the apps that come with it).
Next gen health monitoring devices.

Our exercise bike
Means I can exercise and watch TV at the same time. I’m sure this is how Olympians do it!

My Fitness Pal
I did use SparkPeople as a calorie counting app but was recommended MFP by readers here!

Right now, I’m 169cm tall and weight 73.6kg. That makes my BMI 25.7. According to the NHS BMI Calculator, my healthy weight range is 52.8kg to 71.7kg. My target is right in the middle of that – 62kg.

#DadBelly

So, here it is. My final motivation. The shame of my #DadBelly. Here it is in all its beer induced glory. I apologise for it but it needs to be done. Sigh.

#DadBelly #DadBelly

Now it’s out there. This is my “before” picture. Now, I have to work todays my “after” picture. Can you imagine if all I’m left with is my “before” pic? If I now don’t improve or even get worse? The shame!

Wish me luck. A big part of this is motivation so any and all encouragement is appreciated. I’ll post as I progress and we’ll see how I get on.

*You’ll see a beer review coming up soon. Those beers have been consumed and are pre-health kick. They were delicious. Sigh.

1. 31 August 2016

There’s nothing wrong with your belly at all 😉 It’s just a belly of a dad of a certain age 😉 My husband thinks you look great! And no don’t ask him what his belly looks like 😉 Kidding aside, well done on wanting to make changes. I really ought to do it too, since I can’t keep using T as an excuse anymore. I’ve given birth 6-years to her for goodness sake 😉 No more excuses!

2. 31 August 2016

Good luck, I bet that you do great! I am trying to get rid of my mummy tummy so I totally understand how you feel

3. 31 August 2016

You’ve def got a dad bod, but you are in company with Leonardo Di Caprio lol. Good luck with your weight loss

4. 1 September 2016

Humiliation is definitely one way to go…but you can do it I know you can…good luck!

5. 1 September 2016

I know how u feel motivation wise. Good Luck with your weight loss journey

6. I was expecting a curry filled, beer swilling, beastly belly at the start of the post hehe! I’m sure you will sort that in no time. I am currently getting rid of a mummy tummy so totally understand. Best of luck on your journey! 🙂

7. 1 September 2016

It is so hard to lose weight, I did lose loads last year and then put it all back on again. I have been looking at the Body Coach stuff online and the recipe books and I like the idea behind that but motivation is the biggest problem. Good luck, I hope you manage to do it

8. 1 September 2016

I think everyone gets a belly at some stage and I used to love my dad’s belly as a small child, something to cuddle up to! BUt good luck!

9. 1 September 2016

I saw bigger bellies than that in younger guys… don’t worry, you are ok as long as you feel healthy 🙂

10. 1 September 2016

Your belly really isn’t bad, nothing to be ashamed about. Good luck on your health kick though x

11. 2 September 2016

I have been doing the thinking slimmer program where you listen to a slimpod every night – not only have I lost weight but hubby has too so it really works!

12. 2 September 2016

Best of luck! Determination is the key!

13. 3 September 2016

Good luck, you have put your mind to it and I bet you will do great. I am the same. I eat healthy dinners but then I snack on sweet things. I ran for years and got down to the thinnest I’ve ever been but this year I have slowed down on the running and gained a dress size. Now the school holidays are nearly over I am going to get back into my clothes again and do some exercise :):)

14. Peter Robson
    10 September 2016

Sorry but I’m afraid it’s genetic, when you were young I used to play squash twice a week go for regular runs control my diet and always had a belly like yours. At lent we had no sweets, chocolates, cake, booze or even ginger nuts, your mam lost two pounds I put on four, the only time I have lost weight is when we had the dog, I went for two hour long walks a day, regardless of weather, I got down to 11st 4lbs and people asked me if I was ill. Dog died I put two stone on. Now can’t get below 13 St. My advise, live with it or get a dog.