Keeping Minds With Dementia Active

Dementia is a cruel disease. Current estimates are that there’s around 800,000 people in the UK living with dementia. With an ageing population, it’s a figure that will inevitably increase.

If you’re around my age (40s), then health issues for ageing parents is something that does prey on the mind.You question things like will my parents be able to care of themselves? Will they be safe? What happens if their memory begins to go?

It’s said that dementia hits friend and family extremely hard. It’s difficult to maintain a relationship with those who are dealing with the disease.

It’s good to know that, if the worst happens, there are resources available to help those who’s families are affected by dementia. Both the Department of Health and Alzheimers UK has suggested that people living with dementia can benefit from an activities based approach. Being creative, solving puzzles and playing games are all promoted as positive activities.

Active MindsActive Minds

Active Minds are a company who offer such products to assist those dealing with dementia. Their range of games are tailored for dementia. Activities such as games, puzzles and art activities are all offered by Active Minds.

As they put it, “games and group activities provide a great sense of interaction, connection and community for people living with dementia”.

They also carry out studies to continually measure how their products are helping those with dementia and publish the results. In 2015, Active Minds sold 14,735 products. Of this, 84% were sold to the healthcare industry which include NHS and Care homes, and 16% to the friends and family of people living with dementia and cared for at home. From those questioned in their 2015 study:

• 96% of carers felt products helped to reduce boredom and frustration.
  • 96% of carers felt product helped to evidence person centered care.
  • 63% of families felt the products helped to reduce the stress of caring for someone with dementia.
  • 51,300 people have seen an improvement in their quality of life so far.

Active Minds

If you do have loved ones who are affected by these issues, have a look and see if Active Minds can help.

Disclosure : This blog post was sponsored by Active Minds.

1. 19 April 2016

We worry about my husband’s mum, although she seems doing really well and doesn’t have dementia or alzheimer. His Uncle does though at the moment, he seems really well. But we know the decline will happen soon, which is so sad, because he is such a lovely, chatty man 🙁

2. Fi Ni Neachtain
    19 April 2016

I don’t have any relatives who suffer with dementia, thank God but my heart breaks for those who do suffer with it. It’s great that there’s games like this to keep minds active and that carers actually see a positive difference too.

3. 19 April 2016

My grandma has dementia which is really sad as she doesn’t remember me and my sister. I’ve not seen her in awhile as she is living in a home it so sad to see someone have it and it does make you worry for ur own parent/s.

4. 19 April 2016

Dementia is a real worry, I already find myself looking for the signs in my parents and praying that we are lucky and they will be okay. It’s great to keep their minds active, I always encourage my parents, and especially my grandparents to do the same!

5. 20 April 2016

My grandma had mild dementia and kept repeating the same stories over and over again but nothing like what some families grow through. A great charity to support and get involved with

6. 20 April 2016

Denentia is a horribly cruel disease but because it mainly affects the elderly there is far less money being put towards finding a cure.

This is an important charity to highlight.

7. 20 April 2016

My Grandma has the onset of Dementia and she has a really rigid schedule to help her keep track.

8. 20 April 2016

I worked as a carer in my third semester of university and it was heartbreaking to see what age can do to you. It scares me that we can lose our minds, I would rather lose the ability to walk than the ability to talk and think for myself.

9. 20 April 2016

My grandad had dementia i was too young to remember it all but i know its was difficult. My grandma had the start of it but she passed away before it got to the stage where she didnt know anyone so she would repeat herself and get confused but was still able to understand when we explained to her, these look like a great resourse.

10. 21 April 2016

Dementia is devastating for everyone isn’t it. This sounds like a great idea to support people who are struggling with the illness. The stats say a lot I think

11. 21 April 2016

What an interesting read. I don’t have anybody close to me with dementia but I’m always aware that this might happen to anybody. This looks like a great charity to support, x

12. My nan has very advanced stage Alzheimer’s now and probably doesn’t have long left. I’ve written a lot about the disease because it’s pure evil and I like seeing more awareness of Alzheimer’s and dementia in the public domain. We used to give my nan toddler puzzles to do once she was past the stage of doing ‘adult’ stuff and we truly believe that helped keep her going as long as she did before losing basically all of her skills xx