Dad Makes Up Silly Things To Do

One of my New Years Resolutions was to make up games for my youngest kids. Silly things to do, every day.

We’ve done quite well so far. Here’s some of the nonsense things we’ve done.

THE FLOOR IS ON FIRE!

Silly Things - The Floor is On Fire

Simple one, this. The floor is on fire. It’s lava. Actually, it’s lava-plus. It’s laser lava. If you touch it, you’re instantly zapped.

Luckily, the cushions are made of a material that is impervious to such terrible threats. So is the sofa. For some unexplained reason, it’s imperative that you face certain death to make it to the kitchen and back.

The second time you make the journey, there are less cushions. Why would dad do this to us?! Because it’s fun.

This took no time at all to set up and the girls want to play this all the time!

DAFT ANIMALS

madeupgames-animals

Be a cow trying to blow bubbles with bubblegum.

Be a flamingo eating beans on toast.

Be a fish trying to cross the road.

Be a tortoise trying to get on the train and buy a ticket to Glasgow.

You get the idea. It’s fun for them and hilarious for me. It’s utter nonsense too.

TWONKLE TWONKLE

The girls already make up their own nursery rhymes and songs, usually involving somebody doing a ‘pump’. They will giggle for ages over that wordplay genius.

Twonkle Twonkle is a song game but a bit different. They have to sing a song in the lowest voice that they can. Ultra baritone. It gets it’s name from what Twinkle Twinkle sounds like if you do it as low as you can.

BUILD A ROBOT

madeupgames-robot

The rules for this one is complex, so pay attention. What you have to do in “Build a Robot” is build a robot. Cool?

The girls designed buttons, ears and meters (still to be fixed on), Jack built a backpack, Emma did the shoes and Daddy did the head. Actually a whole big bunch of fun that got everyone involved and was made with stuff we had lying around.

A serious note, I suppose, just to point out that all these games and activities cost absolutely nothing. They made the kids stupidly happy and occupied for ages. It really was all about using imagination and things we had to hand, and it worked a treat.

I’ll document more Silly Things To Do in the coming months.

1. 22 February 2016

I love these ideas, would keep me and D occupied for hours nevermind children x

2. 22 February 2016

I love these ideas they sound like fun and keep Blake occupied for ages when he older.

3. 22 February 2016

My husband seems to be on the same wavelength as you. He tied a blanket round the toddler’s waist and had him dragging things on it like a strongman pulling a truck. It was very funny. I would never have done it or thought to do it.

4. 22 February 2016

Such fab ideas. I’d love to be like this more and just have fun. I think I can be a little too serious sometimes. Thanks for sharing. I love the floor is on fire one, might try that tomorrow 🙂

5. 22 February 2016

I want to build a robot! what a fantastic idea that is, well done!

6. 22 February 2016

Such a fantastic New Years Resolution. I bet your children had lots of fun playing the games. I know my little boy would have loved building a robot! 🙂

7. 22 February 2016

I am forever playing silly games with the kids and even the older kids who are 12,13 and 17 they get harder ones to do
    usually A-Z of animals- countries – electrical items
    the younger ones are so funny with guessing what the food is lol

8. 22 February 2016

Oh wow my nephew would love to place these games he thrives on these. Such lovely ideas.

9. 22 February 2016

I used to play the lava game when I was little or the crocodile river was always a fun one. The possibilities are endless when you have endless bouts of imagination!

10. 23 February 2016

Sounds like lots of fun – Hubby likes making up stories with ours which seem to get wilder and wilder

11. 23 February 2016

I’d have loved it if my Dad had done this with us as children! Your kiddies look like they’re having so much fun! *forwards link to hubby* x

12. 23 February 2016

What fun your girls must have!! I love the lava floor. Lamb would love that, his imagination is wild at the moment!

13. 24 February 2016

Only a dad could come up with such silly and brilliant games! I am now singing Twonkle Twonkle Little Star in my head now. I will never sing the song properly again!

14. 25 February 2016

I just love all these games you are playing and it certainly looks from those smiles that the kids do too

15. William Gould
    6 March 2016

Great ideas – always good to get kids brains working and thinking in different ways!

16. Rosemary Szuster
    9 June 2016

Great fun! No wonder the kids idolise you!

17. 11 July 2016

Yo separo las cosas como, bien hechas mal hechas.

18. This Pokemon can take management of any dwelling being’s thoughts, talk through telepathy,
    and be airborne using telekinesis.

19. Hi everyone, it’s my first visit at this web page,
    and article is really fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting these posts.

20. 19 August 2016

That fact is one more reason why adults should be encouraged to observe animation — so they
    can relate to their juniors better.

21. 29 December 2016

I hve been browsing online more than three hours nowadays, but I never
    found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It’s pretty value enough for me.

In my opinion, if aall web owners and bloggers made just
    right contnt material as you probably did, the web wkll be much more helpful than ever before.

22. I read this piece of writing fully regarding the comparison of hottest and earlier
    technologies, it’s amazing article.