How I Plan To Enjoy Christmas With A Dad Belly

Wow. Losing weight is not easy. I have a Dad Belly and I just can’t shift it.

The difficulty in shifting the belly might stem, in part, from the fact that I haven’t really been doing anything to shift it. In practical terms. I mean, I tried to shame myself into losing weight by posting a picture of my belly, but it’s still there.

There’s a number of reasons, I think, why losing weight is so bloody difficult.

Firstly, the window ledge at my work place. It’s always full of food. Biscuits, sweets, chocolates, crisps. People leave them there is they’re going on holiday, or have spare / leftover treats in their houses after parties or Halloween. The reason is irrelevant. The pertinent fact is that I am constantly tempted at work and my will is not that strong.

Enjoy Christmas

I sit at my desk and the desire to have a little munch on something arises. My mind wanders to The Window Ledge and that’s that. This doesn’t happen in the house. I can go for hours without eating in the house. I don’t get the urge to snack. This is purely a workplace thing. Go figure.

Secondly, the exercise. I work hard, then come home, but it’s still not time to relax yet. There’s still the children (four and five) to feed and get ready for bed. That usually runs about as smooth as a three wheeled shopping trolley.

There is a language barrier between my children and I. When I say “go upstairs and do a pee in the bathroom before bed”, what they hear us “mess around in the living room, then go into mummy and daddy’s room and jump on the bed”. Kids can eventually learn to speak / understand Mummy and Daddy language, but it takes about 20 years to learn.

Anyway the point is that, by the time the children are in bed, and out of bed, and back in bed again, I’m shattered. My energy levels are about the same as Jonny Vegas after his eighth pint. The idea of jumping on my exercise bike and pounding some virtual miles is simply laughable.

Finally. I guess the last issue is that I just love food. And whisky. And beer. To be fair, I did practically cut out beer for a couple of months. It wasn’t too difficult. I just had whisky instead.

And there’s the problem for the next two months. We’re surrounded by seasonal food and drink and it is delicious. Turke, mince pie, sweets, cakes, pigs in blankets, toblerones, Christmas cake, Christmas pud etc etc.

Enjoy Christmas

Enjoy Christmas

So, how do I deal with this turmoil? This clear issue of wanting to lose weight and wanting to enjoy Christmas?

The solution is quite easy.

I looked at my belly. I accepted that I want it to go. I thought about all the awesome food and drink at Christmas, and I thought “Fk it”.

Christmas is Christmas. It’s rich food, spiced and sweet. It’s a Christmas dinner which inflates you to Michelin man proportions. It’s Christmas lunches out with a few ales. It’s sitting at Hogmanay in the run up to The Bells with snacks and whisky.

This type of Christmas is incompatible with a weight loss regime. And yet this is the Christmas that I want. Simple as that. Compromising on a Christmas Pudding with brandy sauce is compromising on life!

So, until early January, there is no weight loss regime. There is no guilt. There is no beating myself up about having a mince pie. I have made a deal. I can enjoy Christmas, full on, and in return I promise myself that January will see me dedicated to shifting any Dad Belly that has accumulated on my torso.

Deal done.

1. Julie T
    4 November 2016

You have made a deal with the Devil! I do hope you are looking forward to January…

2. Joanna
    6 November 2016

That’s one way to see it. I have been working hard myself to get back in shape and it’s such a great feeling when you actually start to see results. Then, after a while, it just comes naturally. I hope it will work for you too, starting January 🙂

3. 6 November 2016

I love this post, three wheeled trolley indeed. I’m sure by January you’ll be sik of the sight of food.

4. 6 November 2016

We love Christmas and always looking forward to spending time with the family, which involves lots and lots of food!

5. 6 November 2016

Oh wow!!

I’ve gone vegan & really will miss shortbread this Christmas 🙁

6. 7 November 2016

Haha! I always treat myself during Christmas. Usually it’s one week of almost eating non stop all these delicious dishes.

7. 7 November 2016

Ha I did snigger all the way through this, I talk to my cats like you talk to the kids and get pretty much the same response!

8. 8 November 2016

I have put on half a stone since the summer so I need to get my weight under control. I think moderation is the key…….good luck 🙂

9. I know this feeling oh so well I am smashing November in relation to workouts healthy Eating and no drinking I am then going to enjoy Christmas and hope I dont gain to much and hit it again in January

10. Niki Marie Wardle
    12 November 2016

I want to make that promise too, but it really is so hard to get into the habit with young kids, if I can find an hour for myself, I usually use it to snooze!

11. Jeremy andrews
    13 November 2016

Could you bring fruit into the office for that window ?

12. Eve
    18 November 2016

Online personal training is what you need, I needed to lose weight for my summer holiday and Aaron helped me reach my goals, give it a try.

13. William G
    20 November 2016

I never have that problem as I’m very strong willed. If someone buys me a box of chocolates, I can eat one every day to make it last as long as possible!
    You need to shift the stuff off the window cill at work and into a cupboard out of sight…

14. Abigail Cullen
    20 November 2016

I agree, I too, could do with losing a few pounds, but when it comes to Christmas, well that’s a different story and one I will be enjoying with all sorts of indulgent treats, both savoury and sweet. 🙂

15. Sparklett21
    20 November 2016

Sparklett21@gmail.com I know how you feel. I’ve been thinking I should get out of my rut & change my hair colour. So the plan was, lose some weight, change hair colour & voila. Well, months & months have gone by & it hasn’t happened???? So I’ve decided to hell with it, and my hairs booked for a change of colour on Thursday????????

16. Mary H
    22 November 2016

Ah well. Don’t worry about it. Eat and drink your heart out over CHristmas & move around a bit more in the new year.

17. Kirsteen Mackay
    30 November 2016

Haha! I think you’re right to enjoy the festive season without guilt and misery.

18. 4 January 2018

Sometimes you just want to relax and enjoy all the fruits of life. I see nothing wrong with this. You can always get back on your diet tip later. You can also use the holiday season to bulk and not feel guilty. Your putting on muscle in the winter months then cut in the summer. Good post. When I’m cutting and shredding in the summer this site has helped me a lot: http://fattweakingsecrets.info