Twitter Competitions. Are they worth it?

Twitter_competition_cropCompetition Legend Super Lucky Di has recently written a blog post about whether or not your twitter competition entry really has a chance of being picked as winning entry. The bottom line is, depending on what method the people that run the competition use, your entry might not ever cross their path. It’s definitely worth a read.

It made me think about Twitter competitions a bit more this week. They’re easily the most prevalent of competitions at the moment. Twitaculous is a fast-moving beast, providing details of hundreds of competitions closing at every hour of the day. It’s a simple click to enter a competition.

That’s the problem, though. If it’s easy for you to enter a competition, then it’s also easy for everyone else. One click, boom. That’s it. (The opposite end of the scale is the creative comp where effort is required.)

I looked through my competition stats for this year so far to see if they would shed any light on how Twitter competitions compared to the rest. The results were surprising.

I’ve entered a total of 4505 Twitter Competitions in 2014. From those, I’ve had four wins. (One of which was the infamous bobble head prize)

In the same time frame, I’ve entered 6255 non-Twitter Competitions. From those, I’ve had eleven wins. That means –

Twitter comps : 1 win in every 1165 competitions. (A 0.085% success rate)

Non-Twitter comps : 1 win in every 568 competitions. (A 0.176% success rate)

Wow. I’m half as likely to win a Twitter comp than other sort. Twitter gave me a 99.914% failure rate.

It’s an eye opener. I can’t help but think that this shows Twitter competitions to be a complete waste of time.

I’m open to be persuaded otherwise, though. What’s the best thing you’ve ever won from a Twitter competition?

1. Wendy Marfleet
    3 February 2016

Tickets to festival
    £250 skincare products
    £500 voucher for laminate flooring

2. Chris
    12 February 2016

Hi Grant, Last year I won:
    Hedgehog Food
    Motorcycle Live tickets
    £25 gift voucher.

The tickets I really wanted and was hopeful that motorcyclists don’t do comps (so that worked out)
    Not many probably want hedgehog food.
    The gift voucher was just sheer luck.

I’m with you on this one. I have tried everything; Entering with photos, comments, blatant toadying, quips and jokes and liking the posts, the both types of RTing – which I still can’t get my head round. Just about every trick in the book and following Di’s advice. Try not to make my feed look like a boring stream of RT’s.

i get likes and a couple of followers but prizes?? Not a lot as you can see. How on earth do people win on this thing? I have no idea.!!!

3. Tiff Jordan
    12 February 2016

A Google Nexus Tablet.
    £50 worth of smellies.
    £50 Waitrose vouchers.

I enter Twitrer Comps which ask you to tell them something or tweet a photo- entries are far less in these cases!

4. Philip Rogers
    22 February 2016

I enter the click and retweet competitions, but I honestly don’t expect to win. I find the creative competitions are the best ones to enter, at least you feel as though you have a chance at winning and that is where I have had most success. I the flip side a lot of these were from Facebook, so that may be another blog for the Post Man.

5. 29 April 2016

You’ve got to be in it to win it. @ygtbiitwi 🙂

6. Susan Peart
    1 June 2016

3 night trip to Copenhagen with Expedia & Visit Denmark is my best win on Twitter, gong in a couple of weeks. So many people entering now, a lot harder to win.